16 Dec 2010

Chip Crowns the winner of Def Jam Rapstar Competition

The Def Jam Rapstar Rhyme Master competition ended yesterday and the lucky winner got to meet Chip and win some goodies. That winner is 14 year old Leah of The Chauncy School, and Chip paid her school a visit. Here entry is called 'Misfits' which you can read below.

Here's what Chip had  to say about Leah 
There was a lot of great talent that came through from all over the UK and I was blown away by how good some of the rhymes were. But Leah really stood out with an incredible heartfelt lyric about fitting in at school… so mature for only 14 years old! Congratulations to Leah – great to see you at your school. Thanks to everyone who took part in this competition, there are a lot of talented rhyme-writers out there!.”

'Misfits'
Many years I hurt tryna forget the pain
But there are too many secrets to put to my name
God knows I tried my hardest
Kept tryna draw a blank canvas like an artist
But that canvas always got burned
And there were never new lessons I learnt
I’m the person that’s never been accepted
Too fat,too skinny to remain
See people don’t know my story
Where I come from I try to explain
But they never got time
Never realized that last day could be mine
I gotta stand up to my fears
Gotta look past all them years
Cause I never thought I’d get here
But I know I can get further than this
All I gotta do is look forward and not reminisce
Life is just a game
But no one sees past the money the cars the fame
I think its time we accept each other for who we are
And not brush everyone with the same tar
Cause we never know when our life will end
And we cant just always put on an act and pretend
If we do then people will only know our act
One day you wanna know someones got your back
So put your guard down and take down that wall
Including me cause sometimes you gotta fall
To realize your still here
Not for a long time are you gonna disappear
Cause we’re all misfits tryna fit in
But sometimes you just gotta be your own to win
Fitting in is just one big game
The game is make everyone the same
people have to break the boundries
Need to escape the prison walls
That we created we’re living safely
But safety’s outstayed its welcome lately
© Leah Newcombe 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment